At the wives conference I went to last month for our ministry I was asked to present a little something on healthy, family cooking and menu planning during the “share the wealth time”. I thought it might be fun to share it with you too. Here are my notes.
3 types of cooks:
- love to cook, enjoy thinking of new recipes, menu planning
- enjoy cooking but not the planning part of it
- just don’t like it
But… no matter where we fall we still have to do it so here are some helpful hints.
menu plan and shop accordingly
plan to cook 4 meals, use left overs 2 nights and then take out/go out one night
think of 3-4 go-to meals that have few ingredients that you often have in stock when you get in a pinch
represent food groups each meal, hint make it colorful
make extra and freeze
plan ahead-set out food in morning to defrost. Am I using the crockpot?
use crockpot- nice to have one pot meal
try a new recipe every couple weeks to shake it up
Have your go to meals for when Dad is gone- easy, fun
puree veggies when can and be sneaky
- Deceptively Delicious by Seinfeld’s wife
- Cauliflower in enchilada sauce, marina, meatloaf
- Broccoli in pizza sauce, meatloaf
- Butternut squash in mac-n-cheese, French toast
Kid friendly suggestions
- Make it fun- picnic in or out side
- Breakfast- waffles, French toast, smoothies wife flax seed and honey
- Serve meals in muffin tins
- Quiet time for kids ½ hour before for final dinner prep and for your sanity
Trade recipes with friends
I’d love to hear your ideas as well Please share the wealth!