In January people often make resolutions, commitments, promises of some sort that say “I will do this.” “I am going to quit this.” You know how it goes. Me? I don’t really get into all that. At least not then.
As a stay at home mom, my “new year” more feels like NOW. At the beginning of school year. The schedule changes, new things start up and there are many new areas to spend or not to spend my time. As the kids get older I feel this more and more. It used to stress me out. I was stressed because I felt like I had to say YES to EVERYTHING. I like to be involved. I’ll be honest I like to be right in the mix of what is going on. Not necessarily leading, just being a part. My husband may or may call me nosey from time to time. Whatev. I like to be “in the know”. I also don’t like that left out feeling when all my friends are doing something and I’m not and then they talk about it when we are all together and I don’t have anything to say and I stand there awkwardly pretending it doesn’t bother me. But it SO does. Yes, this sounds middle schoolish but you’ve all been there. Don’t judge.
So what does one do when there are lots of ways to spend our time? Lots of good ways. But there is only so much of me. So much energy and time I have to give.
I don’t have the answer to this complex question I have proposed here. But these are things I have learned or am learning that help me when I get all caught up in “oh my gosh what should I do?!?” mode:
1. I have committed to giving my best to my family first after that there is a only a certain amount left other people and things for me to continue to do it all well. At this point in my life that amount is relatively small.
2. My list of commitments is getting shorter as I learn more about myself and what I can really do WELL.
3. There are seasons of life when I can take on more and other times I have to cut back. Nothing is set stone. I have to be flexible and roll with it.
4. I will not and can not do all the good stuff I want to do. I have to say no to some really awesome stuff to keep what’s BEST on top of the list.
5. There will be times when I will be left out of things, maybe miss some cool stuff. I am learning to let it go and put my confidence in Him. Not others. Not in what I do.
6. My list is going to look different than yours. No judging. No comparing. We all are doing the best we know how, with what we’ve got, at this point in time.
7. And this is the hardest one…there will be times when I let someone down by saying no and they do not understand. I have to be ok with that.
Seven is kind of a weird place to end but that is all I got.
How are you doing with your time commitments? Is your family getting your best? Are you doing things out of obligation and feeling far too stretched?
Pray where God would have you spend your time and energy. I am confident with His help you will know exactly where He wants you. He loves you. And knows you best.
Here’s to a “new year”!